APPLICATION GUIDELINES FOR “THE HARMATTAN AWARDS FOR DEVELOPMENT JOURNALISM”
Application Period: 5th November, 2018 – 7th January, 2019
The Harmattan Awards for Development Journalism is an annual award instituted by Countrywise Communication to honour hardworking and motivated development journalists practicing in Northern Ghana– the Upper West, Upper East and Northern Regions. It targets professionals who are very passionate about reporting on the challenges and prospects that exist in the field of agriculture in the Northern Ghana.
- Television (TV)
- Print (Traditional and online news portals)
- Local Language (Radio)
Who is Eligible?
The main selection criteria for the pieces are:
- The applicant should be a practicing Journalist (Please provide proof)
- Three (3) stories should be submitted. All stories should be endorsed by the news editor of the media house which aired or published the story.
- Entries must be original pieces published/broadcast in English/Local Language only.
- Articles must be published between November 1st, 2017 and October 15th, 2018 Originality, structure, and quality of writing/broadcast piece
- Creativity (use of relevant interviews and examples to illustrate the issues)
- Variety of voices/quotes used
- Quality of language (engaging writing/radio/TV style, accurate spelling and grammar, etc.)
- Relevant (the story should be relevant to the time in which it was broadcasted)
- Respect for the prescribed format
Stories from development journalists to be considered must border on any aspect of Agriculture and its value chain i.e. production, mechanisation, value addition, market linkage, etc.
Who Selects Successful Candidates?
- The awards will be judged by an esteemed panel of 3 industry leaders and experts. The judging is a rigorous two stage process including pre-scoring to determine shortlists and a judging meeting where entries are discussed and evaluated in detail to decide the winning entries.
- There will be a peer review of the final decision of the judges by an independent committee
- The awardee prize package includes a laptop computer, a plaque, and a citation. One (1) award will be given under each of these categories; Print, Radio and Television/Video and Local Language (Radio).
- 1st and 2nd runners up under each category will be given certificates of recognition.
How to Apply
- For journalists in the print media, a pdf format of their stories is required for submission.
- Radio and television ntries can be submitted as audio/audio visuals on CDs/DVDs in mp3/mp4 formats respectively.
- Entries for local language must be translated into English and hard or soft copy submitted.
- Entries including names and full contact details such as email address, telephone number (s), postal address, town and region can be submitted by email to: email@example.com.
- Entries can be submitted as a soft or hard copy. Hard copies of entries into various categories should be submitted to
C/O St. Peter and Paul Parish
P. O. Box ER 119
Education Ridge- Tamale
Entry Piece Limit
Print Category word limit: Maximum 1,200 words
Radio Category: Maximum five minutes
TV Category: Maximum five minutes